Sunday, October 16, 2011

OCTOBER 9: A SAD, SAD DAY: TODAY WE LOST OUR BUDDY

Today, our beloved Gerbeaud died.  For the last few days, he had not been eating his usual two meals a day.  We thought that he had tired of the same fare every day.   So we tried several different dog foods mixed in with chicken and other treats that he normally inhaled but to no avail.  He just rejected everything put in front of him. He was also listless and not his usual energetic self on walks.  We found an Emergency Animal Hospital and took him in for an evaluation.  We thought perhaps that he had a stomach bug and that the appropriate antibiotics would solve his eating problem.

The Veterinarian on duty examined him and ordered a comprehensive blood screen.  The results clearly indicated a problem with his kidneys.  Either he had a kidney infection or a more serious kidney disease.  A urine test would confirm which of the two possible diagnoses was correct.  Unfortunately, the test eliminated the possibility of a kidney infection.  The Vet explained to us that there is no cure and that his condition was terminal.  We could possibly keep him alive for another month or so with intravenous hydration.  He would need this hydration 2-3 times a week.  He was not in pain but the Vet explained that he was not comfortable and probably would continue to loose weight. 

We were faced with a heart wrenching decision:  do we keep him alive for our own sake or give him a peaceful end.  The thought of not having him as part of our lives was and is so painful but we concluded that it would be the best decision for him.  So we let him go.  He will be with us always.

A friend, Tom, sent us this poem.  I do not know who wrote it but it helped us with our grief.

If I Should Grow Frail

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain does keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done
For this - the last battle - can't be won.

You will be sad I understand
But don't let grief then stay your hand.

For on this day, more than the rest
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end.

And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must now be you
Who has to decide this thing to do.

We've been so close - we two -these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

 Photos of our buddy








No comments:

Post a Comment